About this blog

This blog was created to make it easier for my friends to keep up with my book-writing process. The book is called "Journey to the Heart of God". It is about the importance of pursuing God's righteousness in order to live as He intended so that we can live a full and abundant life: the eternal life Christ came to give us. Happy reading! :D

Puzzle Complexity

I've likened my writing experience to putting a puzzle together while drawing the picture on the puzzle. I don't know if that paints the picture in your mind that it paints in mine, but let's suffice it to say it's not always easy. Sometimes I have a clear picture of what I'm trying to write, other times I'm kind of lost. But the hardest part is fitting what I've written together. I mean, there are rules for deciding what goes where, but sometimes it's hard to determine what the *best* logical order is, because sometimes subjects are so inter-connected and equally-important.
I think maybe sometimes I make it harder than it should be and I get too focused on details. Maybe it's just because I'm such a perfectionist and I don't want to move on until I've gotten something perfect. However, sometimes I think it is necessary to finish drawing the picture before you start adding shading and details, if you know what I mean. It would be like putting the puzzle together and THEN drawing the picture on it. That would make more sense, wouldn't it?
So I guess all this begs the question, if I know what I'm doing wrong, why don't I fix it? hmmmm good question... I guess it's just one of those habits that's hard to break. Especially since I don't always realize when I'm doing it. Like, I've tried outlining then filling in the outline as I go, but all too quickly I move away from the outline and drift back to my old style (I have an aversion to outlines :( ) and/or else I end up redoing my outline fifty billion times till I hate outlines even more than I did before. And maybe this sounds funny but a lot of times I come up with a good metaphor but when it comes to applying it to my situation, I'm lost. :P
So what about you? Anybody else struggle with this problem? Any ideas on how to overcome this?

4 comments:

Karen said...

L. E. thanks for stopping by and following my blog. Wow, I love your site, Emily did a great job. I know what you mean. Yuk, I hate outlines, too. LOL, at your puzzle thought. I know my work is like that plenty. But I make myself jump in, work, get the facts as I can, then RE-write...sigh...Blessings**

L. E. Neighbour said...

You're welcome! And thank you, glad you like it :) Yes, it seems sometimes you just have to get after yourself more to make things work. Success takes discipline, for sure!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed looking over your blog. I found your profile on another blog I follow and I added myself to follow you. You are more than welcome to visit my blog and become a follower if you want to. If I have posted this on your blog before please forgive me. Sometimes it ain't easy being an Old Geezer.

God Bless You, Ron

L. E. Neighbour said...

Thanks Ron :)